Yes. It happened.
I watched. The first show in the city, in the wee hours of the morning.
Did you? Did you? 15+ hours later, I’m still overwhelmed.
And…WOW. It was SO good. The book came alive and there was Katniss with her bow and arrow and the Capitol and – OH SHUCKS, I’M JUST GONNA LIST IT COS I CAN’T HELP IT. (This might get spoiler-ish, so be warned).
- JENNIFER LAWRENCE. She was born to be Katniss. No exaggeration. How could I EVER doubt her? She was amazing. I can’t imagine anyone else taking her place. Oh God. I think I’m pretty much in love with her. Who cares about the boys – yes, they were delectable, but heck, TEAM KATNISS!
- The Capitol and it’s clothes. It was like an avant-garde rainbow parade. And holy moly, THOSE EYELASHES.
- Effie’s appearance reminded me of the Queen of Hearts from Alice In Wonderland. Elizabeth Banks is a delight to watch. I was a little bummed that she wasn’t as despicable as I found her to be in the first book, but, oh well, she’s very watch-worthy.
- If beards can give you boners, watch out for Seneca Crane’s. His is the shizzle. And that scene with him in the end? Perfection. I wish he didn’t have to die, so I could drool over his beard some more. (WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?*shakes head*)
- Also, WHO KNEW CATO WOULD BE SUCH HOTNESS? By God, the Witch Mountain kid grew up and how. Major. Swoon. Alert.
- I was wrong about Josh Hutcherson. He made an adorable Peeta. I wanted to bring him home with me the entire time. And he should go blond permanently.
- Liam Hemsworth as Gale? STUDMUFFIN. Keep that black hair dye on. You lucky girl, Miley!
- And no, I’m not going to go into the whole Team thing ‘cos I like both boys but I also think Katniss made the right choice. The only thing that bothered me about the movie is that Real/For show love between Katniss and Peeta didn’t seem to be emphasized upon much. A non-reader of the books could easily miss the fact that Haymitch uttered a couple of words about putting on a ‘show of love’ to make an impression on the sponsors and the gamemakers. I thought that was a very important aspect of the Katiniss-Peeta relationship – how that Love For Show becomes Love For Reals – so the underplaying of that was a little, um…jarring? If I think of it independent of the book, though – which I can’t, the obsessive fan that I am – I guess it works well.
- I bawled my eyes out when Rue died. My brother cried, too, I know, although he had his hands over his face. A 15 year old boy crying in the theatre should tell you there was a lot of perfection involved in the shooting of the scene, in spite of the whole thing about the little kid dying being so very, very wrong.
- The other tributes? I don’t know how many times I have to repeat the word ‘perfection’ in this post. Yes, that. Special toast for the Careers. You’ve gotta agree they’ve got style.
- District 12 and Katniss’ home. EXACTLY how it should’ve been.
- Yes, there were a few things I would’ve liked to see. Like, you know, Madge. Even though she’s probably not that important but – she gave Katniss the mockingjay pin! And that had a lot of significance which was kinda lacking in the movie. Umm, yeah. And I thought that President Snow would be more sinister and not look like a dystopian-Dumbledore-with-a-shorter-beard. And Haymitch would be, well…drunker. STILL. It turned out to be a really good movie with a cast of uber-talented actors. And guess, what? I, for one, cannot wait for Catching Fire. (also, that happens to be my favourite book of the series).